Thursday, November 11, 2004

Veterans Day

We all know what is obviously dominating the news this morning. I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I drove in listening to local talk radio and they were having people to call in, veterans, their family and friends telling storys. I will never be a veteran but I deeply appreciate and want to thank those who do serve. In my Family my grandfathers are our veterans. My Grandpa Padilla in WW2 and my Grandpa Vigil in Korea. The one thing that they always told me about it was to not join the service, I guess that's what happens when you're in the pacific theatre or on the ground in the jungles of some foreign land.

4 comments:

TimDido said...

My grandpa got a silver star bombing Japanese troop ships in the Pacific theater of WWII. My great grandpa was gassed (wounded, not killed) in France in WWI. My uncle was a paratrooper in Vietnam. And my pop went to Saudi Arabia as part of Operation Southern Watch. Oh, and I turn 25 today.

vetes said...

Thanks to all of your relatives Tim, and happy bithday homes.

TimDido said...

Thanks dude. Thanks to your folks too. I feel like I've not done my part and I'm only taking advantage of their sacrifices - I'm grateful to them. Oh, and thanks, but being old sucks. All my classmates are 2-3 years younger than me.

vetes said...

I think I know just how you feel, I am very grateful and I still remember looking at the medals of my Grandfathers as a kid and being so proud. Sorry dude, you'll get no sympathy from an impending 26 (39 days) year old.