Sunday, November 14, 2004

Groupthink vis-a-vis Academia

Here's an good article. It doesn't contain anything particularly new, but has a well thought out presentation.
Given that I'm trudging back into the world of academia, I feel rather lucky to be an engineer. It's a little hard to bias the presentation of Lyapunov stability to either the right or the left politically.
Although, were I feeling argumentative, I would point out that engineering is inherently biased toward the right. The reason being that liberal notions often must ignore reality, while conservative notions are generally based there in.
Unfortunatelly, I guess Timdido has found that while the science can't be biased, the scientists sure can. Has anyone encountered political bias in a classroom, (or maybe workshop for our industry friends) manifested in the delivery of what should be a cut and dry subject?

No comments: