Tuesday, November 23, 2004

About Time?

In what apparently was a nail-biter, "The final piece in the U.S. election puzzle fell into place on Tuesday when New Mexico became the last state to determine a winner in the Nov. 2 presidential poll". Luckily it came out the way every one thought it would... On November 2nd; "George W. Bush won the sparsely populated state". You have to like the way that Reuters uses 'sparsely' like that's a bad thing. In New Mexico now, I look out the window and I see not much but that's what I was looking forward too when I left the "Big City" last night. Of course, I have to make sure not to look left or else that sparse population is interupted all of a sudden, I guess Reuters has only seen pictures of New Mexico from my right. Reuters also loves to point out, "While most states only took a few hours to count tens of millions of votes to determine the winner in their elections, New Mexico had trouble declaring a winner". Comparisons to 2000 come up; "It took state officials about a month to sort out the winner in 2000, when Democrat Al Gore carried the state by 366 votes -- the closest margin in the country." And to just be sure, Reuters of course reminds the reader that in 2000; "Bush won the presidential election". How Helpful. Reading the whole thing (I'm a glutton for punishment), it seems that the 'News Service' needed X amount of words and can't seem to write X amount of words without being condescending and snobbish. Big surprise there.

3 comments:

TimDido said...

You out in Bernalillo now?

Engicon said...

A friend of mine pointed out that the Afghanis were able to collect and count all their ballots, some brought in by donkey no less, in three days...

vetes said...

No more Bernalillo for Steve, my parents moved to the far North West of Rio Rancho almost 2 years ago and I haven't been to "Berna-Town" since...