Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Attaching amino acids to electronic device materials

Researchers at Lucent Technologies’ Bell Laboratories in the US have tested the adhesion of amino acids to semiconductors, metals and insulators used in electronic devices. The team used their results to design an inorganic nanostructure that selectively bound to a particular primary peptide sequence.
via SciTech Daily
I find it interesting that we can still do such basic research. How well does amino acid x stick to gold? Of course, I'm far more interested in how sticking amino acids to electronic device materials can help us to make time traveling cyborgs...

2 comments:

TimDido said...

Do you know what the journal this article is in is? I'm interested in some of their methods.

Especially "molecular beam epitaxy". That sounds like they are "drawing" a line of molecules onto a surface, which is pretty darn cool. I believe this is similar to how we made strained silicon at Intel, but that group was so secretive that I couldn't even get them to tell me how their process worked.

Engicon said...

I don't know any more than what the article says. You might try emailing the author of the article to see if she can tell you (or atleast give you a scientist's email). Or look around Bell Lab's website and try to figure out who you might try emailing.