Thursday, December 15, 2005

Is King Kong Racist?

Drudge has a story up about a column asking the question. Here's the column.
Here's a quote:
Movie reviewer David Edelstein, writing in Slate.com, notes the "implicit racism of 'King Kong' - the implication that Kong stands for the black man brought in chains from a dark island (full of murderous primitive pagans) and with a penchant for skinny white blondes." Indeed, a Google search using the words "King Kong racism" yielded 490,000 hits.
Riiiiight. I see King Kong and I see a big ape. He sees King Kong and he sees a black dude. Who's the racist? See Jonah Goldberg's column for a relevant analysis on criticism of racism in the Lord of the Rings.

Geez, it seems you're supposed to find racial undertones in anything nowadays. I used to find it irritating because the implication was that these elitists thought everybody else was a racist and they were the only ones who could see this undercurrent. Now I find it unsettling because I think the real problem is that these elitists are the racists. They are the ones who ascribe qualities to people based on race so they feel the need to jump through hoops to prove that they don't translate that into action. I've seen it all too much in academia now to think it's just a fluke of one or two people. I'd give examples, but I don't know who would stumble across this blog, as humble as it may be.

To prove this - look no further than multiculturalism. They cannot separate "culture" from "ethnicity". Therefore, they are loathe to criticize cultural traits of different groups (no matter how wrong they may be, such as, I don't know, female genital mutilation) because they believe that it would be tantamount to racism. Gimme a friggin' break.

No comments: