Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Did you ever

hear the Dane Cook comic routine? The one where he refers to the DMV as "Satan's a**h***"? Yeah, well today I finished a month-long odyssey getting my vehicles registered here in the great state of New Mexico. Not having the title (almost done with that first auto loan) for one and having past documentation for the state I started by calling to figure out what to do. After all the mis-information I finally knew what I needed and took the first last week. It was amazing because it was almost painless, could it be, had the DMV changed?

Of course not, that's what this week was for. So, yesterday I went to get my other truck done and they were closed due to computer failure. Ugh. So today I go and because I need a VIN check the receptionist won't give me a number. I finally convince her that I think I'll still be in line when I get back from pointing at the numbers on my truck. She's still skeptical but gives in. My number: 165, current number: 131, estimated wait on ticket: 41 minutes, number of tellers working: 2 (out of TEN stations). Yeah, I wouldn't miss anything.

When I got back from the VIN check they were on 133, I was on my way. I went to the theatre next Door to see what was playing and to kill some time, 134. Next I decided to be brave, walking to the shopping center next door in search of some type of under-motorcycle-helmet head covering for the frigid weather. I thought I was getting close and taking my time. Nope, 138.

So I decide to wait. And wait. Finally, 1 hour, 12 minutes and 43 seconds after getting my ticket (and 22 minutes after my ticket estimate) 164 is called and is a no show. It is my time! So I get to the window and find a mistake in the VIN check paperwork. The woman called my truck a Chevrolet (it's a GMC), I tell the teller this and he informs me that it must be changed. Well, can he do it? I had brought the Arizona title (I gave it to the VIN checker too, but I guess it was too late in the afternoon to read). He told me that no, he couldn't because he wasn't certified to read a VIN number from a windshield and verify the badge on the front (oh wait, that obviously isn't a qualification, my mistake).

The teller then tells me I have to get back in line to get it filled out again. A little close to livid, I cut in line and the receptionist sends the paper back to the VIN inspector who walks back to my truck to verify that it's a GMC. While waiting, the receptionist walks me back to the teller and lets him know it's ok to start on my paperwork. Twenty more minutes later and the title and registration is in my hand. A hard earned victory.

Let's just say I'm about as enamored with the DMV as I am with man-hating faux feminists.

4 comments:

Engicon said...

Yeah dude, I just use MDV Express or some such. Then renew registration online. I used Socorro's actuall MDV office when at Tech. It wasn't too bad. I don't think I've ever been in a real Abq office though. Too scared.

TimDido said...

Was this the MVD in Cottonwood? I'd always go there right when they opened up and it wouldn't be too bad. If you went any other time, though, it was like hell. I'd always go walk around the mall and then come back to find out I missed my number by 2 places.

vetes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
vetes said...

Oh, that's messed up, two numbers. No, this was Montgomery plaza. Thirty people in line, two tellers. Although teller 4 was a monster, doing the work of ten civil servants by my observation. Kudos to them. Also jarring was the way as more tellers trickled in, leading to a high of five (out of ten stations), it seemed as though most would take a break after each customer. I actually watched someone take 5 minutes to staple two sets of paperwork and take them to a random inbox.