Friday, September 30, 2005

Condi Speaks at Princeton

I had the privilege of listening to Sec. of State Condi Rice speak today. I managed to get a ticket in the lottery so I was sitting about six rows from the front, on the left side (facing the stage, so to Condi's right). She is a very charismatic and eloquent speaker, and extremely intelligent - can I also mention very beautiful? Yes, I reaaaallly want her to run for President.

When I arrived, I had to wait for 2 hours in order to get through security and get a good seat. I ended up sitting by myself (the wife is out with her lab on their annual retreat) right in front of some old liberal dude who made it his mission to pontificate tirelessly to the Republican girl behind me. He kept carping on about the war in Iraq and how we didn't plan to 'win the peace', and then went into a tirade about Hurricane Katrina. After I gave a few displeased looks behind me he realized he was really loud and shut up.

When Condi came in, she was well received. It was a very good atmosphere, she received lots of polite applause. The Dean of the Woodrow Wilson School, Anne-Marie Slaughter, gave her rave reviews and mentioned many times how there would always be a spot for her at Princeton should she return to academia. Condi, at the end of her talk, received a long round of polite applause and a standing ovation from maybe 10% of the crowd - me included (look for the skater-looking guy with the black hat and Blacklabel shirt if this gets broadcast on C-Span). The lack of boos and hisses kind of surprised me - but the long applauses really shocked me. I found that level of politeness very unexpected, but, then again, we're in Princeton, not Brown. They train them to be very polite, condescending a--holes here.

Unfortunately, there were no recording devices allowed, so I have no pictures. I'm waiting for a transcript so I can further expound. Let me just say that there were two points to her talk that really stuck out to me. The biggest one was how she kept reminding everyone that 9/11 changed everything. We live in extraordinary times that require lots of risk and foresight, much like the times that Truman and his advisers had to navigate during the post WWII years, with the specter of the Soviets hanging overhead. She contrasted the 'ordinary' response to terror during the '90s with the 'extraordinary' response that 9/11 demanded. This means actively changing the middle east to expand freedom - I didn't realize until now just how much I've let go of my former foreign policy prescription of 'screw the world and save America'. Her other point that stuck with me was a criticism of those who believe that 'exporting democracy' is doomed to failure, which is a criticism encountered from both right and left. She said it is an awful thing to think that the desire for freedom and liberty is something that is unique to Americans.

She took a few questions at the end, and one I found very surprising coming from a Princetonian - it was basically critical of the administration for taking a somewhat softer stance towards the Palestinians. She vigorously proclaimed that the administration will not allow groups like Hamas a future in that part of the globe.

The final thing I saw was while I was leaving - the barricades were set up and holy crap, the drum-beaters were going nuts. These were the patchouli-stinking locoweeds that you see pictures of on LGF, and they were right here in Princeton! It was amazing, I wish I had my camera.

Again, I'll post a transcript later and more comments. For another firsthand account, check Tigerhawk, since he actually took notes and has more comments.

3 comments:

TigerHawk said...

Hey, thanks for the link. Are you an undergraduate? How long have you been blogging?

TimDido said...

I'm a grad student in engineering, just entering second year. This is actually a group blog with a bunch of my friends from college - we went to a little school in New Mexico called the NM Institute of Mining and Technology, or NM Tech for short. All kinda dorky engineers who happen to be conservative, and we've had this blog going for almost a year now so we can read our rants. I found your blog thru Instapundit and read (and link) it frequently since it's got that local connection for me.

Fausta said...

the drum-beaters were going nuts
Luckily, I was heading towards the parking lot and missed them since they weren't that many. I did see a large cloth banner that read "cure AIDS, save Darfur"