Thursday, January 05, 2006

Un-Frickin'-Believable

A Mack Brown team wins the big one!

Even though I'm a huge Texas football fan, I was even drinking the Reggie Bush kool-aid and privately thought that USC would steamroll the 'Horns. They just had sooo many offensive tools at their disposal. Indeed, it still looked that way until the last six minutes of the game. However, Vince Young carried UT to the win with a jaw-dropping performance (how does a quarterback gain 200 yards rushing? how?). The hard-hitting UT defense also looked very good, although I think they started tiring in the 3rd quarter when USC began nickel-and-diming them to death. But Vince Young impressed me with a combination of poise, athleticism and humility that I don't see a lot of in sports today.

The Heisman voters screwed up this one. Vince Young not only is a superior athlete to Bush, he is also an incredible team leader - and a far smarter player, after seeing Bush turn a really great run into a fumble because of a bonehead lateral. I must say, I hope an NFL team I like picks this kid up because he is awesome.

2 comments:

LtCarp said...

I know some may disagree - but I think Matt Leinart is one of the most grotesque cockiest players I've ever read about. Vince Young deserves more praise than anyone on USC.

TimDido said...

I don't disagree. I hate that smug bastard. He was caught after the Heisman party in NYC in a drunken stupor feelin' up some midwestern honeys.

Leinart should end up on a team I hate so I can hate him more. If he were on the 49ers, that would be fitting.