Wednesday, July 20, 2005

OK, the REAL Supreme Court Nominee

It's John Roberts. I admit, I was caught up in the conservative swooning over him at first, but let's get down to business. Bush made a brilliant choice politically - at least for temporal reasons. He will be easily confirmed, and he seems conservative enough to satisfy Bush's base. But remember, stealth nominees are never, ever, good choices. Remember David Souter?

I'm cautious, and teetering between optimism and pessimism. Polipundit points out that his paper trail (although it is sparse) is not a big confidence builder - although he argued against Roe (with the gov't as client) he also argued against Microsoft. I'd have to read his defenses to ensure he was defending conservative principles (free markets) but it gives me jitters, esp. in light of the Kelo case.

That's just my take. Conservatives are reacting with mixed emotions - Ann Coulter is attacking Bush's choice, while the guys at Powerline are just ecstatic. I tend to side more with Powerline than with Ann's sometimes hysterical attacks, but I think she has a point here - based on past experiences.

At any rate, the best blog to cover this, I would imagine, is this one. Not like it won't be endlessly covered in the news anyway....

Powerline has responded to the conservative critics, with good points. I'm a little happier now.

1 comment:

vetes said...

I tend to be more optimistic as well. Sometimes I think Ann Coulter would have been unhappy unless Robert Bork were to be re-nominated. She made some points but I think Roberts will prove to be a capable justice, of course, only time will tell.