Wednesday, January 26, 2005

No need for logic

Sometimes I think I'm living in crazy world. That's it, there's no way around it. Only in crazy world would statements logically clear and full of sense be pushed aside by pure irrationality. Reading a news item today, I can only think to myself, "it's about time".
Arizona has become the first state to require proof of citizenship when registering to vote
I think right on, then I come to agreement with the next point.
a measure that supporters say is intended to prevent voter fraud
Well, duh! In my mind I can't imagine how this measure is unreasonable. I voted for it. Why would anyone be opposed to showing Id? Often one needs Id to purchase something with a credit card, surely voting is more important than an impulse buy from Circuit City, right? Apparently, I'm missing something,
A civil-rights group and Democratic legislators recently had urged the Department of Justice to reject the law. They argued the changes will erect barriers that will hinder minorities' participation in elections and hamper grassroots voter registration drives.
Ok, so this means what? If people have to prove they're eligble to vote in order to register they won't and if minorities have to prove they're citizens they won't vote, after proving their eligibility when registering?

Huh? As I look in the mirror a question has crossed my mind; wait, aren't I a minority? Last time I checked in the big corporate group of recognized minorities, I was. And they never subtract from that list, it only grows larger. Anyway I happen to be one of those minorities and I remember when I went voting I had my license out, hoping that they would check it. Did I miss a memo that I should be offended, and refuse, when asked to prove my identity to my government?

I swear, crazy world. Of course, if my arguments were ever noticed by democrats they'd probably say that I'm not Hispanic enough. Seriously, this has happened before.

No comments: