Friday, January 28, 2005

Euphoria, or so they call it

The air tastes a little better this morning. I feel as if a great weight has been lifted from me, I feel calm and collected, all at the same time. It's been tough the last year professionally. Last year I was passed by for a promotion and I felt terrible. I was told that I was doing everything that was expected, was needed. I was told that I was an exemplary engineer and I was fed a lot of excuses about why I was stuck being an entry level engineer. Nothing like being patronized to make someone feel good about their career. The year was very busy, very stressful and I allowed my disappointment to wear me down. Watching my peers move forward while I couldn't even get acknowledged for my work and recognized as staff was wrenching. I hesitated to take new responsibilities, wanting to work down to my position, I had already felt that I was working at a level above my position for more than a year. Out of necessity I took the extra responsibilities but it left me very bitter and for that I began to feel ashamed of myself to the point where the situation became completely untenable. Finally in December I broke down and spoke to my supervisor about my concerns. Again I was told how well I was doing, I sat in dismay as I was again condescended to. I was told that I would be promoted in May. Too little, too late, I thought. I couldn't fathom holding on for that long.

This morning I received a formal offer letter working on simulations for the Air Force. It was the best news I have received in a very long time. On Monday I get to announce my departure and begin anew. A fresh start in what I consider an amazing opportunity is something that I can't wait to start. I feel like I know what euphoria feels like.

1 comment:

TimDido said...

Dude, I know exactly how you feel. I went through exactly the same thing, except my out was to grad school. I killed myself for two years and finally got a promo 4 months before I left Intel, although all my coworkers felt I should have got one a year before that. My fate was NOT in my hands, it just seems I had to wait my turn. Intel's whole performance reward system is BS, and I suspect IBM's is probably the same. You oughta go to grad school, it's great fun being a student again.