Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Lone Gunmen

This is slightly insane. Not sure why I never made this connection as I think I watched the pilot episode linked above. The Lone Gunmen is/was an X-files spinoff. The pilot aired in March 2001. Part of the plot is the thwarting of a conspiracy to crash a 727 into the World Trade Center. Not that a piece of fiction makes me think that the real government should have been able to predict the event occurring in reality. However, the show kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the "who could have predicted this" argument. I'm also a little surprised that it took me this long to come across any reference to this coincidence.

1 comment:

TimDido said...

The difference between this and 9/11 is that the idea that someone would remote control a plane into a building was just as outlandish as people intentionally flying planes into the WTC. Up to this point, suicide terrorists were sort of the anomaly - deaths in terrorist acts against the US were never suicidal, until 2000 when the Cole was hit. Also, we sort of had a false sense of security about plane hijackings - after the PLO hijackings of the '70s many safeguards were put into place and we never had one in the US. I'm pretty sure people had a sense that something like this could happen, but deemed it highly improbable.

But, I'm sure this episode gives those conspiracy nuts another reason to don the tinfoil hats.