Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Super Size Me

nuther movie I watched. Fairly entertaining - it has its moments (like when he ralphs up his first super sized meal). Sometimes he tries a little too hard to be Michael Moore-ish, and I don't mean by stuffing his schnoz with fries. One key plot line was that his body pretty much completely rejected his diet - the doctors were very concerned with his liver 2 weeks into his experiment. This was a beating stick he used against fast food. But what do you expect when you suddenly change your diet? Of course it will take some time for your body to adjust, and in the interim would appear like it was poisoning your body. Kinda like binge drinking isn't exactly the healthiest lifestyle choice.

2 comments:

vetes said...

I've only seen a bit of the movie and agree that it has it's moments. I wasn't very interested and tuned out after a short time because the whole concept seemed really preachy about something that I thought was common knowledege. I know, I know, obesity is an "epidemic" and all but come on, who is surprised that someone pigging out on fast food for a month every day all day encountered health problems and weight gain as a result? Instead of demonizing fast food for me, it proved that making poor diet decisions lead to one becoming a fat ass. Duh.

Engicon said...

I saw it a couple weeks ago. I was pretty opposed to it before seeing it. I had gotten the idea that it was pretty much a bunch of liberal, anti-corporate propaganda. It turned out to be fairly decent as far as being a documentary goes, not too biased.
I agree though that in general the "findings" were hardly revolutionary. The part where he almost started to get cirrhosis of the liver due soley to eating McDonalds was pretty crazy though. Granted, Tim's point is important, if he went from a Big Mac a day to three meals a day, the effect no doubt would have been less noticable.