Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I did not know this

I used to think that the term "Xmas" was a secular way to acknowledge Christmas but I was wrong, it turns out that the X stands for Christ, but in Greek;

"Xristos is a transliteration of the New Testament Greek word for Christ "criston." The Greek letter Chi 'c' was retained to insure a connection to the roots and original texts, as well as visually represent the centrality of the cross in all. The visual symbol Chi-ro is also employed at various places by Xristos, recalling one of the earliest practices of the Christian community."

1 comment:

Engicon said...

Hmm, I too thought Xmas was secular PC garbage. I'm glad to know differently. I'll probably stick with Christmass all the same just so no one else thinks I'm being PC (that or I have to include the origin of Xmas every time I use it in case people don't already know).