Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Something to do on an ariplane

Finally, "Federal regulators voted Wednesday to give airline passengers high-speed Internet connections while they fly." A good idea, I think. Let's just hope that the airlines make it reasonable, if they charge at all. Albuquerque International AIRPORT (That's right damnit, "sunport" is a stupid name and I will never never use it) already has FREE wireless access in the terminal. In the same article the possibility of cell phone usage on planes was also discussed, I'm for this also. The only argument listed is the aversion to being amongst a sea of conversations mid-flight. Personally, I don't think that this will be a big deal but I do see the point, mostly regarding the folks who need to learn to dial it down a few in the volume dial when talking on a cell phone.

3 comments:

TimDido said...

Dude, Steve, just a technicality - it's not actually "free" wireless, any more than nationalized health care will be "free" health care. Somebody, whether it's NM or federal taxpayers, is paying for it. Maybe it's being paid by the airlines, in fact (for airplane access) I hope it is paid by the airlines. Not saying it's a bad idea (in fact I like it too) but it ain't free - it should factor in the price of airline travel b/c if somebody doesn't care for it they shouldn't have to pay for it.

I think Sunport is pretty stupid too - they're just trying to be unique. Maybe they should call it "Windport", although the wind is probably worse at DIA.

Engicon said...

"I'm sorry sir, I know that you have free nationwide coverage but you were above Arizona not _in_ Arizona."

vetes said...

I know, it's not "free". Sorry about that, I almost became a wireless internet service welfare proponent! I should re-state, Albuquerque International has no-cost to the user wireless service. Better? Dude, Shawn, that was awesome. Does anyone even know if Cell phone antannae 100 feet off the ground would work as a viable cell 30000 feet in the air? I don't really think so. But I could be wrong.