Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A little bit

Of the obvious here but Malkin's a good writer and as this type of thing almost always goes unnoticed.

Besides that, it reminds me of a couple stories of my own.

Recently I was dumped, being told "I can't be in a relationship with someone who is a Republican, who believes what you do. I am a feminist." Total conversations at that point about ideals: 0. Ugh.

Another recent incident. A former roomate was an assistant to the Lt. Governor, a Dem and was quite active in local liberal politics. We never talked about anything but I didn't talk to them much about anything. One day we all went to a bar and I met some of their friends. I talked to a group for more than an hour about a lot of things. Much of the conversation was politically and current issue driven, no problem, there were agreements and disagreements. After a while one of them said some non-too-kind comments about those "evil republicans" and after rolling my eyes, I mentioned that I am one of them. In a snicker I was told "We thought you were cool", and then they ignored me for the rest of the evening. Ugh, again.

7 comments:

LtCarp said...

I find it neat actually that politics was talked about in a BAR. That's a first for me. Luckily I hang out with a bunch of Republicans (after all, we ARE the military I guess.......) - but we rarely talk about politics in general.

TimDido said...

I can't believe a chick dumped you for your political beliefs. It's not like you were trying to marry her. Some people have a hard time separating the personal and the political - I blame the libs for making the personal political in the first place. They're the ones who began politicizing small cultural things like the way we speak, etc.

I've discovered here that just rolling your eyes is sufficient to end any political discussion. I gave up on political arguments many moons ago, because it is difficult to get people to listen to you logically when an argument on politics brews because most libs have so much of their self-identity invested in their politics.

vetes said...

You're totally right, it's impossible to deal with these people. This same woman actually told me that I was so tolerant and easy going and then a week later accuses me of hating womens rights simply because of the r on my voter card and my no-definitive-stance on abortion. I told her it makes me uncomfortable because I don't have a uterus, is that really all that bad? Sorry, still a little bitter.

Engicon said...

You're no doubt better off. If she favors the, "Let me tell you what I know you think even though we've never discussed it" model in politics, she no doubt would apply that process to other realms of life. A girlfriend who's interested in actuall communication would probably be more enjoyable in the long term.

Muztan said...

Vetes,

Keep your right-wing head up, my friend. Down-to-earth, God fearing, truly happy, peaceful and content women still exist. They're usually just the quiet ones... :)

As engicon said, you're much better off without someone who can't tell the difference between "women's rights" and human rights. The majority of left-wing minds I've met in my day think they're open minded, but actually lie somewhere on the flip-side of their argument to be such.

vetes said...

Thanks for the support guys. I'm proud that I did defend myself (and r's and c's in general) and took her to task for the statement. One day, one day a peaceful, content and truly happy woman is sure to cross my path.

TimDido said...

Plus, the conservative chicks are hotter! Feminists are just bitter, dumpy, frigid women anyway.