Wednesday, March 01, 2006

God Bless the USAF...

I know.......nice topic from a fellow butterbar and this is basically just a rant on my part. You'd think after 14 weeks back in 2004 of constantly being ridiculed by Colonels, Generals, etc. I'd be used to it. But recently I participated in a mock awards board. Basically what people have to go through to earn a Officer of the Quarter/Year at least at base-level....well, they ask 3-4 questions and of course I'm SURE it's their job to critique my answers but this is just ridiculous and it's basically always will be catch-22.

1) What will you do to improve readiness level of the USAF?
my answer was "vague" according to them. Well...perhaps you asked a fucking vague question maybe???????????? At least IMO. On a side note, that Major had no right to critique my uniform. His looked like he just woke up in them and his boots were dirtier than Yokozuna's underwear. But again, this is their "job" I'm sure.

2) What is your opinion on the whole UAE potentially taking over ports ordeal?
my answer is that security is a big deal here (OTS taught me to be neutral) and I just explained the facts behind it and then my opinion. Of course their critique was I didn't choose a side. Thus proving everybody above the butterbar has their own damn opinion and I frankly will follow MY model.

3) What is your role in the USAF?
Geez, another stupid vague question. I had to be cocky here because, well, this is what they want. I explained without me and other satellite operators, soldiers would not be able to tell what's on the ground. I'm being professional but instead this Major said "if anyone here works with this kid, I would take him to the back now and kick his ass for basically lowering the entire space community." I was like "WTF?" Then he went on saying "you should've said *without me, Major, your ass would be dead* Have some *** damned PRIDE in what you do! You ARE right in that I needed GPS in order to kill Iraqis."

Um Major, I think saving your life is enough and that's honorable enough that I don't need to be showing pride. Next thing you know you'd think I'm an @$$hole for showing pride and saving your life.

I swear, USAF isn't about how talented and intelligent you are. It's all about rank. I knew this all along but this is simply the zenith for me.

6 comments:

TimDido said...

Yeah, I love the military structure and discipline, but when it all comes down to brass tacks, it's really just another government organization. With that comes all the inefficiency, bureaucracy, and pettiness.

When I hear stories like this, I'm kinda glad I was "saved" from West Point. I bet that Major was an academy grad - my pops told me you could tell the ROTCs from the Academy grads because of the difference in humility.

LtCarp said...

Most USAF personnel would look at your first paragraph and probably would kill you or give you a 30-min schpill about how the USAF is the greatest killing organization in the world and without us blah blah blah. But frankly, from a neutral standpoint, the first paragraph is pretty much true.

Second paragraph, I don't know the history of this guy, but I was told he was one out of the only two people at Kirtland that actually was in GROUND combat with other Army and Marine troops. He actually killed people and was shot at. So *shrugs* - I guess he has the right to be a badass *rolls eyes*

But you're right, you can tell an Academy grad in just the first 60 seconds of talking with him/her

Muztan said...

I was also saved from Annapolis by fate... I'm glad I'm here with my family and friends today.

Not that I'm denying that any branch of the US Armed Forces are not superb killing machines, but it's sad that a good portion of their population are actually proud of it. Humility is apparently not taught as a discipline any more (or was it ever?)...

TimDido said...

My pops was in the force for 23 years and he would agree wholeheartedly with what I said. I've also got a buddy here who flies KC-10s outa McGuire and he has a lot of the same complaints. I salute you fellas (and gals) for what you are doing, but I realize that it is still a government bureaucracy. The difference between the one you're in, and, say, the US Department of Education, is that the federal government is constitutionally mandated to provide the service you're sacrificing to give us.

I don't know if it's all that bad to be proud of being a killing machine. It's sad that it has to be done but I'm grateful that there are those who are willing to do it. Also, humility is something I admire in a person in general but I think it's just a personality trait - some people just need attention, and I won't begrudge them it.

Sometimes I get all wistful for being in the Army so I could be a hero in Iraq or Afghanistan...then Wife kicks me back into the real world.

LtCarp said...

Humility was never taught. It's a sign of weakness according to OTS. But then again, USAF is just a big Catch-22 organization because it was just a few days ago a retired Colonel told us that it's better to look at your troops in the eye and admit your mistake (if you made one). Everyone makes mistakes and he publicly disagreed with Gen Jumper in the whole "be prideful, even if you screwed up" mentality. I agree with him.

There's nothing wrong with killing the enemies to win the battle, and frankly, there's nothing wrong with being prideful. But if you're prideful, back your shit up. Not the whole "it doesn't matter if you're wrong, just be prideful."

The American public, contrary to what a lot of Generals think, are not as stupid as you'd imagine.

Muztan said...

I think it's sad that anyone is proud to be a killing machine. I'm certainly proud of the military as they all should be, but not because they can kill, but because they are able to do what no one else can in a world that increasingly shuns them from acceptance. I'm proud that they have the courage to defend their nation with vigor, to have the discipline to endure immense suffering of body and spirit, to uphold a standard of excellence in performance on such a macro-level that allows the civilian economy to prosper and better all our lives without worry of invasion or devastating wars. The fact that death must be a part of this envelope is sad, but necessary...