Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Tease that is The Onion

Most of the time “The Onion” as a political animal is liberal claptrap but every once in a while there is a surprising story and so it seemed to be with this headline:
Democrats: 'If We're Gonna Lose, Let's Go Down Running Away From Every Legislative Accomplishment We've Made'
This headline is similar to many storylines talking about just how “productive” congress has been the last two years in an attempt to control as many aspects of American life possible in two years with time off for vacation and ignoring constituents. And saddle foreseeable generations with debt that they can only hope to pass on, living just long enough not to have to deal with the worst consequences of.

This “productivity” thing is a myth, just because the congress used majorities in both houses and control of the executive branch to pass reams of impossible to comprehend measures doesn’t mean that it was any good and that they were the right things to do. I’m pretty sure I could get up early on Tuesday and knock over one hundred trash cans into the street in less than half an hour but that wouldn’t make me productive, it would mean that I was making a mess for others to clean up.

But I digress, on to the seemingly good article on typical liberal overreach and grandiose narcissism not to mention ignorance of the voters. Nope, I was wrong. Reading the article the democrat’s productivity included:
hard-won passage of a historic health care overhaul, the toughest financial regulations since the 1930s, and a stimulus package most economists now credit with preventing a second Great Depression.
But it doesn’t ask if the health care overhaul is worth it or will even work as designed and that no one will even know until after 2014 when it actually begins. It doesn’t provide a metric measuring the “toughness” of financial regulations (as if such a metric exists). Nor does it mention that following the onset of “tough” financial regulations in the 30s unemployment exploded from less than 7% to over 25% by the end of that decade. Finally, the last contention is the silliest. Did they provide a roll call of all economists and then take a show of hands to prove that most credit he stimulus, which has not even met its claimed goals, with preventing a second great depression which almost nobody people can even imagine as they were not alive then and the schools don’t teach actual history anymore.

Onion, you tease me and then smack me in the head with predictable dribble and you wonder why I only check the site when I’m so bored that I can’t even sleep. If I wanted liberal claptrap I’d go to CNN or MSNBC, I want satire from the Onion damn it!

No comments: