Friday, July 14, 2006

Panhandler

I don't claim to be the world expert on panhandling signs or anything. Still, I thought it to be fairly well understood that the sign should refer to to holder. For instance, if the sign says, "will work for food," it means that the guy holding the sign is offering to work for food. Likewise if the sign says, "Vietnam vet," the holder is indicating that he served in Vietnam during the war. So imagine my confusion when I saw a guy, on the side of the offramp, holding a sign which included, "POW MIA VA Hospital." Now if I'm wrong about him and he was actually telling his life story, e.g. a POW, then declared MIA, assumedly released, spent some time in the VA hospital, now wants your money, I hope someone buys him dinner then a house. The customary procedure though is to list _current_ descriptors on the sign. Therefore he is claiming to be a POW and MIA. Is he then a foreign soilder invading the US? Call the Army someone please. Or is he a US soldier claiming to be a POW and MIA on US soil? Sounds more like AWOL to me. Call the MPs.

No comments: