Friday, September 30, 2011

The Yardsale

I like going to yard sales sometimes so long that they are on my way somewhere or close to my home and I have a few minutes free. I almost never purchase anything but I always think of the stories about people finding treasures or fantastic deals on things and dream. Of course that never happens to me, all the yard sales I’ve ever been too are typically made up of old and undesirable clothing, trinkets and old electronics priced higher than something newer and better that I can buy down the street at Best Buy. I took my son to one this afternoon down the street and it was typical. Not bad, and the people were nice. They wanted $100 for some amplified speakers that looked at least 30 years old. I paid $30 each for a couple Polk amplified speakers last year in my garage that sound ten times better. And I forgot to mention that yard sales almost always include kid’s meal toys. Never anything good. The proprietors were encouraging me to buy my son some junky McDonald’s happy mean toy. I always feel bad later since they always seem to look at me like I’m mean to my son since I won’t buy him yard sale toys. If only they knew that the floor of my home is at least sixty percent toy. Oh well, one day I’ll find a Kandinsky, or at least a decent old Bridgestone or Schwinn bicycle frame…

No comments: