Friday, January 21, 2011

Random Thoughts - 1/21

Thwacking the conventional wisdom strawman in sports is one of ESPN radio personality Colin Cowherd’s favorite lines. This morning’s show started with the premise that everyone; yes everyone, favors the Green Bay Packers over the Chicago Bears in this weekend’s NFC championship game. Everyone has been hating on the Bears and thinks they’d be the worst super bowl team in history. Cowherd’s annoying tic wears because he can’t help himself from harping on the subject for much too long. The Bears may win. The Packers may win, and are favored by a field goal. There have been analysts favoring both sides of the game and perhaps there has been more favorable coverage of the Packers. Cowherd’s annoying argument is that everyone thought the Saints would win, they lost. Yet, in the last round the Bears were favored by ten, and won by eleven, justifying the belief that the Seahawks had no chance in that game. I find the Bears to be an unlikeable team, mostly because of former Broncos QB Jay Cutler, but it’s nothing more than a strawman to identify them as some kind of victim of vitriol.

I learned earlier today that I inadvertently stole the jacket of a one year old from my son’s day care center yesterday afternoon. It was a jacket identical to one that my son has and my son did not have a jacket with him yesterday morning. As my wife takes him in the morning and I pick him up in the afternoon combined with the fact that my wife and I communicate as well as your typical married couple I of course had no clue that the boy had no coat. How horrible am I though? What if the poor kid had no other jacket? It was rather cold this morning due to the wind.

Governor Susana Martinez has been sued again, this time by the Sierra Club, for putting a hold on new energy saving building guidelines. The hold is only for 90 days in order to allow for a thorough review. I think in this case it is in Governor Martinez’s favor that she is being sued by such hack outfits like the Sierra Club, an adversary worth having.

Even though I have been using some form or another of the written English language for about twenty-six years I am still flummoxed by proper spelling. I am such a bad speller that sometimes Microsoft Word has no suggestions for me. It’s as if Word is telling me that I am so bad at using a word that I may know the meaning of that they don’t know what to do with my mangled mess of letters. How’s that for a self esteem push? Makes me want to eat a whole bag of M&Ms in one bite.

No comments: