Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Coming back home

Up to November 2008 I had been a regular contributor to this blog and then all of a sudden I left. Part of it was due to work commitments that made it difficult to find the time to put into words the points I wanted to make and then even remember to do anything with those words. Additionally at that time I learned that I was to be a father for the first time. I thought at first that I would be able to continue with my life mostly unchanged. I was wrong and as Bill Engvall says; “Here’s your sign”. My son was born in July of 2009 and is nearing his first birthday, changing in an amazing way every day.

The biggest contribution to my dereliction of duty however had to do with the election of 2008. To me it had denigrated into a playground incident between seven year olds. The media was all in for Obama and ignored important things from his complete lack of meaningful experience including anything even related to the private sector to his radical associations and stated positions. John McCain was completely incompetent as a presidential candidate and Sarah Palin was sacrificed to the national scene and unfairly caricatured. To me, the campaign was just name calling of the Republican Vice Presidential Candidate, bumbling by McCain and a bunch of nonsense touchy-feely BS from the Democrat ticket. I read a lot and devoured everything I could about Obama. To many he was a fresh face but there was a lot to his history and at a relative young age, had authored two biographies full of evidence that he could not be trusted in executive office. His thin resume as a United States Senator existed of many rants of a leftist tilt, running for President and he was elected by luck as a friend allowed for the unsealing of private divorce records of his competitor who was leading. He is and always has been a community organizer. Simply put a rabble rousing, professional victim finder and exploiter. Knowing this, I could not fathom how a person like Obama could be elected to be President. Alderman, nutbag congressional district Representative, sure. But President, I did not think it was possible. As it became ever more apparent that he was going to be elected my mood became dark and I just didn’t care anymore. I worried about the future, mostly because I had a son on the way. When he was elected I was shocked but not. It was disheartening but I was not surprised. After all, in a country where many of my peers get their news from a blowhard like Jon Stewart how could I be surprised?

In all, I just wasn’t sure that I cared all that much for politics anymore. Pessimism is easy. Over the last year and a half the policies that have been put forth by this President and the Congress have been worse than I even imagined. It is as though our country is being run from an office complex on the yellow brick road. Those in charge of our government haven’t a care for the opinion of their constituents and treat the citizenry as infants. Every time our governor, Bill Richardson does anything I am in complete disbelief as to how a person of no character and utter incompetence could be elected for two terms. A ray of light has occurred recently. Last November, the seeming mayor for life of Albuquerque was defeated soundly by a responsible person. Massachusetts elected a Republican to the Senate. Perhaps the most impressive governor in our country runs New Jersey of all places.

It is time that I get back to hashing out my thoughts. Who knows if anyone cares about what I think but it is time, if only for myself, it is time that I finally get back at it. I plan to get more into local politics this time around because, it all starts at home.

No comments: