Wednesday, November 05, 2008

So it's done

Hey guys, I made a vow to disappear and divest myself of anything election-wise until today. If I got too invested, it would have been bad for business, plus I'm in the middle of a job hunt and I'd rather focus on that than this election. Now that it's done (the election, that is), I can finally weigh in.

This election, I was surprised to find out that my wife was a lot more gung-ho for McCain than me. I'm actually a registered independent now (long story), which sucks, because now the ACLU sends me crap and calls me. Yesterday, I resisted the temptation to pull the lever for Bob Barr. I usually lecture others about sissy third party antics, so I went and voted McCain.

So, the big question is, now what? I'm honestly proud of my country for this moment, and I think we should all reflect on that. I still think that Obama has this weird cult persona and hasn't done anything that qualifies him for the presidency, but the guy at least ran a flawless campaign and appears to have the temperament for the job. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic for the next couple of years. We're not going to be rounded up and sent to reeducation camps or anything, and I don't like the fearmongering on our side about what an Obama administration will look like. He'll be a left-wing president, but the American people are not stupid. As long as the press does its job (I have faith that they will end the 24/7 blowjob of this guy sometime next year) we'll be fine.

I have 2 great fears for the Obama presidency - 1) he will be assassinated or someone will make an attempt and 2) there will be a major terrorist attack on this country that he will be forced to respond to. The major reason for fearing both is obvious - they are greatly destabilizing. But I get the feeling that this guy is a lot like FDR and could use things to his advantage when it comes to unconstitutionally expanding his power. The first thing we should worry about is the credit crisis and his response - if he responds like FDR did, we'll be set for a long, extended depression with inflation highly likely. Personally, in the middle of my job hunt, I bumped government jobs up the list because those will likely be the most stable.

Anyway, guys, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll be fine. The new reality is that we have a left wing government for at least a couple of years, but at least we're not nearly as bad as the other major powers of the world. Let's set aside party differences and congratulate the new President elect, and bask in this historic moment. I'm personally very proud to be an American right now.

No comments: