Friday, September 05, 2008

Western Conservatism

Admittedly, I initially wasn't as excited about the Palin nomination as others, and my gut reaction to it was that it was pandering and tokenism. The buzz about her speech has pretty much passed me by, as I make it a point to not listen to convention or State of the Union speeches, since I think they are full of the typical political boilerplate. However, the more I learn about Palin, the more I like.

This article best sums it up for me:

Hailing from Arizona and Alaska, the Republican ticket has a chance to rekindle a western conservatism different from the old Yankee paternalist sort or the Bible Belt version. They like their guns out there (some still kill their own food) and they are pro-life and deeply pro-America, of course. But at a time of grave challenges, the themes of economic freedom and opportunity, the resistance to the idea that government holds all the answers, could resonate with voters.
If there's a politician that I can identify with in terms of worldview, it's Barry Goldwater. His viewpoints basically mirror mine - a sort of "conservative libertarianism". This sort of "rugged individualist" conservatism seemed on the rise in the Western US, but it is completely foreign to people out here, and it's depressing. To people out here, conservatism isn't something that you can defend intellectually, and it's fruitless to even attempt. I honestly didn't see any hope, as I figured this individualism would slowly be suffocated out by what I see around here (indeed, parts of the west coast are being swallowed by it). But Palin embodies these principles, and is probably the first politician to really do so since Reagan. Bush sure as hell has forsaken them.

Anyway, I'm still not excited about the election, but of course I want to see McCain win so I can mock the dour faces around me with loud, cathartic guffaws of joy.

3 comments:

LtCarp said...

trust me next time that I tell you Palin is part of the real deal ;-)

TimDido said...

What would we ever do without you.

Seriously, the best proof that she's the real deal is that she is being attacked. The fact that the media aren't hailing this as "historic" and are instead picking at sensationalistic rumors means that McCain made a good choice. Heck, she sent the money for the "Bridge to Nowhere" back to DC...that's awesome.

Keep in mind, though, that he's still squishy John McCain. I won't ever feel happy about voting for him. He gets it right on my 3 big issues, though, and he's managed to elevate what looks like the new star of the conservative movement.

I do have a problem with your previous post, though. I'd put maybe half of those names in the "new wave" conservative movement. Romney? Condi Rice? They're big government conservatives, and the reason guys like me are disgusted with the Bush administration. Of the names you listed, the only one that really comes to mind as a member of this "new wave" is Jindal.

LtCarp said...

Oh yes, it's still John McCain that's running for President and she's VP. I'm sure this country is gonna have to handle 4 years of McCain...or Obama, and then I think Palin will rise. I'm more than confident she's running for President in 2012 and also she's more popular than both Obama AND McCain. McCain's speech 2 nights ago was very McCain. Took shots at the Republicans many times and it wasn't as inspiring to me as Palin. Said many times how we need to unite and reach across the aisle. no...Palin was really the only person the entire week that talked about anything remotely conservative.

okay, maybe Romney and Rice aren't really the new wave, I see that, but I was thinking merely ideals and issue stances. There aren't that many conservatives in DC now. You probably haven't heard any of them except for Jindal because the Congress is really dominated by Democrats now.