Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What Say You

So, it's been awhile. I haven't paid much attention to politics ever since that satisfying 2004 win (imagine being in a room full of Ivy League grad school liberal pricks and watching state after state fall to Bush......ahhh, memories). However, election cycle is really heating up, what with the primaries yesterday and all, so I figured I'd get my piece in to lay out my voting rationale.

I have 3 issues that I care deeply about. I will vote for the candidate who will best further these issues in the direction I want - Democrat, Republican, Green, whatever. The likelihood of a Democrap doing this is almost nil, so of course I will likely choose a Republican. I'm a realist too - so I won't pull one of those wuss moves like voting for a turd party candidate with no realistic shot at winning.

Anyway, here are the issues:

  1. Judges - I care about this more deeply than anything else. Judges have been legislators for nigh on 80 years now, and the unelected, appointed-for-life dictators were never intended to have the power to write new law. I have my issues with Bush, but his appointments of John Roberts as Chief and Samuel Alito were both the greatest things he has done in his term, meaning I give him an upper passing grade.
  2. GWOT - Yeah, many have fallen by the wayside with the civilizing "project" looking to be a bust in Iraq, but remember - that was a secondary goal. The primary goal of the GWOT was to bring the war to their shores, not to ours, and it's been a success in that regard. So I fully support expansion of the war on terror. Pull out of Iraq when they have a little bit more stability and head on into the next project - Iran, Pakistan, whatever.
  3. Taxes and Spending, Free Trade - all economic type issues. Many may support one of these while opposing one of the others, in words or deeds. Personally, as y'all know, I think we oughta cut taxes and cut spending, just like any other small government conservative. When it comes to free trade, I believe in it - one of the only reasons I think Bill Clinton wasn't actually the worst president ever was because of his staunch support of free trade. The more free trade the better. End the Cuban embargo, form a free trade zone with our other Anglosphere allies, and continue to expand free trade agreements in our hemisphere.
Of course, there are a lot of other little issues that matter to me, but usually you can lump them into one of the above three. So, the big question is, who is my "best fit"? Heck if I know. I didn't vote in the primaries, so that shows you how much research I've done. From what I know of the candidates, it seems that McCain might actually be my guy. He's been good on a lot of things relating to those above three issues. Problem is, I think he has such a desire to be seen as "different" that he won't be reliable. Heck, look at what he's done with global warming.

We'll see how things turn out. For now, let me tell you, it's disgusting to see the way these east coast liberals are all slobbering over Obama. He's like their pet black mascot so that they can all pretend they're not racist.

No comments: