Sunday, May 07, 2006

World Cup Epiphany

I can only see really Tim responding to this one, but oh well :-)

I'm gonna start off by skipping to the US group. I'm gonna flat out predict Czech Republic and United States are gonna advance out of this group. I'm only picking Czechs because frankly Italy has sunk. But otherwise, Czech Republic is the most overrated team in the world. With their rank, you mean to tell me only Brazil can beat them? Bullshit! Germany, Holland, even France I think can beat them. Throw Argentina in the mix too. How the hell does FIFA come up with the Czechs as #2 in the world (and it's been that way for couple of months now)?????? With that? If Czech Republic comes out less than 3-0 in their group, they don't deserve that rank. Period.

Group A: I'm saying Germany and Poland is gonna advance here. Poland by default as the other teams are Ecuador and Costa Rica

Group B: I see Sweden and England. Even with Rooney potentially out, I still think England can at least pull off 2nd place here. Paraguay is lethal and have proven to be lethal since 98 (they have always made it to the Round of 16), but I think the 2 Euro teams, playing on Euro soil, will advance.

Group C: I'm gonna stay safe and pick Argentina and Holland. There's always gonna be the token 1 African team that does well. I would say Drogba and his Ivory Coast but they're in this group (i.e. tough). Although I'd also say Ghana (in the US group) has a good chance too.

Group D: Another "stay safe" one as I'll pick Portugal and Mexico. It'll be interesting to see Angola (Portuguese-descent players) play Portugal. I doubt politics will come into play here as Iran is in this group. Euros are against America, not the Middle East

Group F: Brazil and I'm gonna go wild and say Japan, instead of Croatia. Since 98, Croatia proved nothing to me. Every World Cup has that lucky 3rd or 4th placed team that does well (a "non-powerhouse) and they were that in 98. Since then....*shrugs* what? Nothing. It'll be interesting to see Japan (coached by Brazilian Zico) plays Brazil.

Group G: France....and again, another wild one in South Korea, instead of Switzerland. This would all depend on how the Asian teams are coached and prepared. If they make 0 mistakes, they have a good chance.

Group H: Spain and Ukraine.....

I won't go any further than that, since anything can happen after this stage, but with the way the brackets are, I envision Round of 16 to be (it's fantasy mock time):

Germany vs England (good bye England unfortunately)
Argentina vs Mexico
Sweden vs Poland
Holland vs Portugal
France vs Ukraine
United States vs Japan (yes, don't laugh. I sincerely think the US can pull off 1st in their group. I'm sorry, I really think the Czechs and Italians are overrated. If the US happened to be grouped with say England and France or....Holland then I can't see them doing well)
Brazil vs Czech Republic (ooo wee, #1 vs #2 in the world *rolls eyes*)
Spain vs South Korea (I think the Spaniards will get their revenge here from 2002)

Qtr:
Germany vs Argentina (I can see Germans advancing here, but probably by PK)
Holland vs Sweden
France vs United States (I think US will again be eliminated from qtrfinals this year, thanks to the Frenchies)
Brazil vs Spain (for the millionth time, Spain will get eliminated in the qtrfinals)

Semi:
Germany vs France (like above, I see Germans squeaking by here by PK. This'll be like France in 98 where they barely won all their games, but they pulled it off because of homefield advantage)
Brazil vs Holland

Finals:
yes, I see a 2002 World Cup finals rematch between Brazil and Germany. I can't really pick this one

6 comments:

TimDido said...

What's up with the Asian bias? :)

I don't think it's wise to bet against European countries on European soil, especially in a location as central as Germany.

That said, I don't think there's a chance that Japan and South Korea will advance past the group stage. I think they're good, but at the level of the US - good enough to beat top-flight teams at home or a neutral venue.

I think the US has a good chance, but I honestly am not sure if they will advance beyond the first round. We need Italy to have a bad cup, but they just got through thrashing Germany...we may have a chance with the Czechs, who I think are as overrated as we are in the FIFA rankings. However, our biggest problem comes with beating Europeans in Europe. If we can do this, and the acid test will come against CR in the first game, then we may be in for a really good cup. If we win the group, don't be surprised to see a semifinals appearance by our boys.

Pick to win: Brazil.
They will play: Holland. It's time for Clockwork Orange to perform. Nobody has talent like these fools, except Brazil, who will beat them.

Letdown of the Cup: Germany. They have high expectations, and they're playing at home. But, the problem is, they suck. They're gonna get spanked by either Sweden or England. in the second round.

Surprise of the Cup: as badly as I want to pick Mexico here, they're troubled by a lack of team unity, a problem that will kill them in Europe. I'll go with an African country: Ivory Coast to qualify behind Holland for 2nd round, over Argentina. How can you stop an elephant?

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to an awesome World Cup. I bought a DVD recorder specifically for this. I think the best game of the group stage will be Holland-Argentina.

LtCarp said...

what Asian bias? I think Saudi Arabia and Iran are gonna choke :-)

I know, it's being played in Europe and I took that under heavy consideration, but World Cups always have that one upset. Of 8 groups, there's always at least 3 that goes against the "normal" expert predictions. Sure, in 1990 (Italy), European teams did well, but that was over a decade ago. In 1998 (France), only 9 of the 15 Euro teams went to the Rd of 16 (and frankly 6 of the 9 were by default due to horrible teams in their group). Sure, 3 of the top 4 finalists were Europeans, but oh well :-) - you gotta point then.

Italy did beat Germany, but I don't really focus TOO much on the "friendly" games. I mean, the United States tied Jamaica for goodness sakes. It all depends on if the team brought in their A game and if their opponents brought in benchwarmers to see who can fill slots for the actual team.

Yes, FIFA rankings overall is overrated and I never follow it. Even if Brazil is #1. The Czechs and us in the top 5??? I use the elo ratings. I don't know where I found out it, but I think it's eloratings.com. It's much more realistic frankly.

Wow, you think England is gonna beat Germany (they have a possibility of playing in the Rd of 16 as these two groups are in the same Round of 16 bracket)? Sure, they got a tight midfield in Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and a decent defense, but they got shit for scorers. Unless Rooney and Owen are 100% by Rd of 16 time, they got Crouch and Theo Walcott I think is his name (I don't even know this guy). ????? Coach Erikson must know something no one else does. the Midfielders and Defenders have to step up for England.

again, my picks:

win: Brazil, it's just so hard to bet against them, I only see Germany (again, home) or Holland coming close enough. With Ronaldinho, Robinho, Adriano, their defense, Kaka, oh yeah, there's Ronaldo too....how can they lose?

letdown: England. They're very good, but they seem to always play against champions in the tournament stage. Even Pele predicted a while back that England is always capable and VERY close to winning it all - even over Brazil (I think he picked England to go all the way in 2002 actually). But they just find a way to choke. I'm even gonna say Czech Republic for here. I mean freakin nay, they're #2 in the world right? You gotta throw Spain in here as well. For some odd reason, these guys are on paper one of the best in the world but never seem to pass the quarterfinals.

Surprise: I can see Japan doing well. At least getting to the Rd of 16. They just cannot screw up against Croatia and Australia. If they win these two, who cares what the Brazil result is. But if they tie either Croatia or Australia, they GOTTA tie Brazil or at least win it (gulp). Besides, the Japanese has the legendary Zico :-) - surprises are always hard to pick because it's usually a team that no one will pick (hence...a surprise!) I mean look at 2002, who'd thunk Senegal was gonna do well??????

agreement, best 1st rd game I think will be Holland-Argentina.

TimDido said...

Yeah, I know I'm taking a big gamble by picking England to do well...but I think they've gotta bust a great cup at some point in modern times. You're right about Spain. I didn't pick them as letdown because it's just a given that they will be a letdown. Must be an Iberian thing, considering the high expectations and low achievements of Portugal, at least in '02.

I hope Japan or South Korea proves me wrong, and I really would like us or Mexico (heck, or the Ticos or Soca Warriors) to perform really well. Or an African nation to make the semis. I'm sick of the SA/Euro dominance.

What I really want is a big upset of Brazil though, and somebody to really thrash the Germans in front of their home crowd in the second round. Stupid Nazis.

LtCarp said...

Well, I must say Germany DID have it easy in 2002. I mean look at it. They went 2-0-1 in their group (they beat Cameroon and Saudi Arabia - big deal, and they TIED (?) Ireland? They should've won that game!!!). So onto the tournament stage and they barely beat Paraguay (had to in overtime - 1-0). They beat the United States thanks to missed calls. They beat South Korea (big deal, 1-0). They FINALLY play a real team in Brazil and get SPANKED.

In the World Cup, any quality team can win, it just really depends on how your bracket is.

TimDido said...

You're right about that. Germany sucks, and about all they have going for themselves is home field advantage. I'm still bitter about Torsten Frings' handball that cost us that game.

I hope Costa Rica rips them in their first game.

LtCarp said...

It's very possible Costa Rica can win. 1990 had Cameroon (then unknowns) beat Argentina and just the last one Senegal defeated France and eventually the WORLD CHAMPIONS (France) ended up in last place in their group. It seems "powerhouse" teams take their first game for granted. Germany seems to have an easy group though so I see them passing the group stage (as home teams always do). But what happens afterwards...it all depends on who their opponents are. It seems Rooney/Owen will be health and if they are, I can see them beating Germany. I can see Sweden (very underrated team) beating them as well.