Thursday, April 13, 2006

The more you know...

So this morning I'm driving into work and as I turn into the parking lot of my building I notice the license plate in front of me is from Washington D.C., of particular interest was the motto. You know like "land of enchantment" here in New Mexico. I had thought that the motto was "celebrate & discover" (actually I didn't know that but I read it somewhere as I was writing this) but on that plate read "taxation without representation", presumptively to note the district's lack of congressional representation.

At first I thought it was fake. It had to be. Everyone in D.C., exspecially in D.C. must know why that is and what the District of Columbia is, right? Well, I was wrong. The voters there actually approved this motto. I will now light myself on fire. Maybe tea party on the mall (national monument mall that is) is next?

3 comments:

TimDido said...

Yeah, they've had those for a while now. I remember there was a bit of a brouhaha over what would happen at the inauguration of Bush because both Bush and Clinton were going to ride in the same limo, and Clinton, predictably, was a pro-DC statehood guy with those plates on the Presidential limo.

Man, imagine if DC had 2 (!) senators. Who would they be? Marion Barry and Jesse Jackson? That makes me cringe.

Engicon said...

Funny you should bring that up. The motto caught my eye when I was in DC a couple weeks ago. I pointed it out to a friend and he was convinced that it was a gag plate until I pointed out several more. My thought had been that they just didn't have enough room for "No." Didn't realize that it was a pro-statehood statement. Didn't even realize there was a DC pro-statehood movement.

LtCarp said...

oh yeah, DC Statehood is actually pretty big within the real hardcore liberals of DC (more Greenie than Democrat). That's why Ralph Nader I believe in 2004 ran under a DC Statehood Party slogan.