Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Grad School is Weird - February Edition

Graduate school is weird. Certainly, it’s to be expected that graduate students should be more proactive in their studies and not waiting for their professors to guide every little step and decision. What’s different is that it can devolve to the point that no one, student nor professor knows what’s going on and that kind of thing can start to take a toll.

About two and a half hours into a leadership class this week the professor started into discussion of an academic paper, one that turns out to be quite luddite on information technology but more on that another time, to which I replied that I was confused because I hadn’t read the expected paper but another one. The reason I had read the other paper was because two weeks earlier we were to select a paper from a list to analyze and critique. That critique was due and the paper mentioned in class was on the list as a competitor for our review. Or so I thought. Since it wasn’t the one I had chosen I figured I didn’t have to read it. After all, I read one chapter in one book, two in another and an academic paper that I wrote a critique and analysis of, I guess it wasn’t enough. Fortunately, every other student who did not read the paper did the same thing I did. The professor was confused that we were confused, why did we not understand the syllabus that he had just revised that day for clarity when they didn’t mention, nor has ever mentioned assignments?

In my other class, business law, there aren’t even any assignments. The syllabus lists readings but there isn’t anything else to do that I can figure out. Class is basically made up of a blow-by-blow of the readings and forced, and not entirely relevant, legal examples from small towns in New Mexico. By reading the book, one effectively renders attendance not all that important if not for the fact that it’s required. There was one assignment. The writing of a legal case brief and presentation based on a case presented in the book and to be delivered at the time the class goes over the subject. Based on the syllabus I turned mine in one week early for review as requested by the professor. There was no response. I asked during the next class (when I thought it was due) and was told that my chapter would actually be a week later and rest assured, I would be provided feedback with ample time. Five emails and three phone calls over another week and then, two hours before class, I received an email reply with suggested changes.

The worst part is that there’s nothing to do about it. Not a thing. I’m carrying quite the GPA and am paranoid of doing anything to endanger it. So I grit my teeth, a big pushover, awaiting graduation. With three classes left after this semester the finish line is too close.

No comments: