Monday, January 30, 2012

Random Thoughts - 1/30

Taco Bell’s got a “new” breakfast menu out and by “new” they mean re-introduced from some time in the past. From a look of the menu, other than a couple new items there’s a lot in there similar to what once was. Apparently this new menu was five years in the making. Yikes. Nexus, with the best fried chicken in Albuquerque has been in existence for almost a year, doubt they were planning six years ago.

Is there some kind of definable neurosis for the apparent anxiety many drivers exhibit as they approach a freeway exit? Is it that if they don’t immediately enter the exit lane once it’s there they think they’ll miss it or something? This neurosis seems to disable the ability of some drivers to either look behind them or use their mirrors. A couple of examples in Albuquerque include the 1-25 southbound Comanche exit and the I-40 eastbound Carlisle exit. There’s plenty of road for successful merges yet some paranoid drivers ignore whatever’s coming from the freeway entrance lane to make the exit prematurely.

What to do about a co-worker with strange habits? The person in the office next to mine likes bananas, which isn’t all that strange. However, whenever he finishes one he strolls into my office to share some inanity in a few words and then discard the expired skin into my trash bin. It’s really weird. When I consume anything in my office I don’t even dump it in my own trash but walk to the kitchen area to get rid of it. I’m left wondering what would constitute proper retribution.

Every time that I pass a cyclist on any road I analyze whether or not I would ride it. There was some consternation in the city recently because of a short section of a shoulder-less single lane road populated by industrial vehicles and with no lamp coverage being closed to cyclists. This road happens to run parallel to a dedicated bicycle trail. A trail I personally take nearly every morning as part of my morning commute during warmer months. Some cyclists don’t like trails and the law does open up the road to cyclists the same as motor vehicles. Riding on a demonstrably unsafe road because of dissatisfaction with a perfectly ride-able trail, for whatever reason, just isn’t wise.

No comments: