Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine’s Day

As my poor wife would attest, I am bad at Valentine’s Day. And as anyone who knows such things, disappointing someone who is into Valentine’s Day is not conducive to a peaceful existence. I try and will continue to try but in the end the unfortunate bottom line will be that I’m not good at it because I just don’t care to. I’m not sure what it is and where my ambivalence comes from. And that’s because I don’t care to really think about.

I’ve never really been into the day and it’s not as though there is some kind of traumatic event in my past that drives it. I remember once when I tried to do something that could be considered a romantic gesture for someone that I had an interest with and that failed. But I didn’t care so much that it failed than the fact that a so-called friend effectively stabbed me in the back.

What I often wonder is what exactly is the point of the day and to me I’m just never sure. Certainly the commercial side is more than evident but it just never really gave me much motivation to care. Of course the only real motivation for someone that doesn’t really care is to deal with it in a way that doesn’t contribute to their own misery.

So for today, bleh. And to those that find themselves to be miserable due to this day for whatever reason, don’t take it too seriously. In the end it’s just a day and there’s much more to be said when something you want occurs when it’s best for you and not just because it’s supposed to be on that day because someone no one remembers said so.

No comments: