Friday, July 30, 2010

In search of clarity

In an interesting business turn recently I had the pleasure to ask in all seriousness if someone who was looking for me to give them something if they were indeed looking for me to give them something. This seemingly strangely worded account stems from one of my deepest desires, the desire that those I interact with tell me exactly what it is that they want and why. It is a perplexing and much too common occurrence that someone wants something but for whatever reason determines that the best method to get that something is to obfuscate.

It all started with a University that was looking into obtaining a software application that my company developed for a particular class and to be used in lab. The initial query came in the form of an email and was worded in a way that could be taken in multiple ways. And multiple ways were taken by several people in my company’s chain of command evidenced by the Office Space style way that I received the same note from multiple people imploring that I rush to take care of this business opportunity.

While my boss’ boss read it as a possible large sale and even the prospect of a development partner (!?), I read it from the beginning as someone looking to us to give them product and support. This read of the request was apparent to me because the request was wordy and mentioned the word agreement many times, non-monetary benefits to my company for participation and an appeal to the CEO of the company who, tangential interest in the purpose of this particular school. Not exactly a sales inquiry.

Several days after responding by email and phone the representative of the school called and we spoke about it for several minutes. Details of the class and flattering comments of the software were shared by this representative while not once mentioning that his purpose was a hand out. While I do have the almost supernatural ability to recognize winks and nods over the phone and in writing I won’t respond to them. I asked the representative to send me an email detailing their proposal, stressing the importance of clarity.

When that email came it again was heavy on platitudes while empty on details. This led to my question, asking specifically if what was being proposed was the dispatch of software at no cost and finally the representative replied in the affirmative.

It could be thought that because I knew exactly what was going on that this whole episode was not necessary and while valid is beside the point. There is no reason why adults need to hide their intentions when talking business with other adults. There is no reason for a University to hide their intentions and it is not uncommon for companies to provide students with complementary products, after all I bought a calculator for college based on experiences with one that I used in high school compliments of the manufacturer. Let me be clear, I want to be asked.

It is not too much to ask for someone looking to solicit something for nothing to tell you what exactly they want. This kind of behavior is much too common and it is confusing as to the cause. It seems almost as if there are some people that believe sharing their true intentions would lead to a negative response. It is beyond puzzling why making the other person guess while hiding those intentions is better. Whatever happens in the future it is certain that I will stubbornly continue to always insist on clarity.

No comments: