Monday, July 19, 2010

If you don't know, why not ask?

Recently I found myself enjoying an evening with friends when like a foul smell that wafts in quickly and without notice a friend of a friend came by and soured the mood by looking at my side of the table and stating “you’re tea baggers, aren’t you?” with a giggle. I looked at my friend to my right and we both looked like we had just driven by a dairy after morning coffee on a humid day. This hippie liberal jerk interloper was no doubt bringing up the political tea party movement with the oft used smear erstwhile used to denote a vile bedroom act. Personally I have never been to a tea party event, not because I do not agree with the idea, but mostly because I am lazy and am not a fan of crowds. I think that the movement is honorable and a commendable exercise in the face of current governmental excess.

While the offender is not a member of my regular circle of friends I have known them for a few years and they are known for every once in a while wading in with inane comments disparaging my political views so there was no surprise. The curious thing is that this person has no clue whatsoever about what it is that I truly believe. Over the years I have been privy to various lectures by them in regard to the nobleness of being “liberal” or “progressive”, living in mud huts and the sustainable lifestyle with disdain for oil, “consumption” and “big business” but when it comes time for actual conversation, they leave or shout down any kind of differing opinion as disrespectful. Basically my aura, labeled as conservative, is enough for this person to deduce my every opinion as evil and not worthy of examination. And I mean every, to this person every aspect of the world has some kind of political tie and they seemingly believe that to be conservative is to be wrong in all matters.

It is frustrating that this person has no idea what I actually think about anything. At least I have listened to them time and again about what their beliefs are. This type of one sided argument seems to be typical of my interaction with self described progressive liberals. I have some progressive friends but I cannot seem to get anywhere when it comes to actual discussion of issues. There seem to be two kinds of people that I interact with. The first, typified by the hippie liberal jerk above, tend to lecture on their ideals mostly in an ill-defined egocentric kind of way, while not welcoming of other views and often impugning opposing views in a disparaging manner. The second type openly, and often with heralded self-regard, declares as “progressive” but never discusses anything with regard to politics or policy. To the latter I have no idea what they think beyond that they believe that being progressive is in itself inherently superior.

To me, caricature like mischaracterization and insult passing without discussion is empty because meaningful discussion is a good thing and a way to test one’s convictions and belief system. It can be a way to learn new things that may challenge or can clarify the reasons why a person thinks the way that they do. For whatever reason many of my close friends either identify themselves as conservative or at least appear to be so and when it comes to subjects involving politics or policy we disagree as often as we agree and this leads to often fascinating conversations. I relish the chance to learn from people I respect and look forward to the opportunity to defend what I believe based on the strength of my convictions and intellectual rigor.

Another reason that any type or political or policy related conversation is considered impolitic seems to be that many people believe that such discussions become harsh and argumentative. While the premise may have some truth to it, it is often a debate and there is nothing wrong with a debate becoming contentious. Debates are supposed to be challenging and while there are certain lines that should not be crossed that doesn’t mean that this kind of talk should be disparaged. Obviously it is not a good thing to get into a heated conversation with someone who can easily lose their head.

It would be a better and more solid more argument to call me a nasty name if the offender at least made the effort to listen to my opinions rather than infer them based on caricatured assumptions. Conversely I would like to know what and why it is that self-described progressive liberals believe what they do. I would like to have the conversation where someone can explain to me how a Keynesian stimulus works while citing historical examples instead of just saying that it does in the face of all proof and logic. Instead of being called a cretin for thinking that welfare for the most part is a bad thing I want to know why it is that some believe it is a good thing. Unfortunately, I doubt things will change, so I will refrain from holding my breath.

No comments: