Saturday, June 10, 2006

World Cup - Day One

So, the first day is in the bag and we've had at least one thrilling game - Germany taking Los Ticos 4-2. Some offensive fireworks from the Germans, but nagging questions remain on their back line. I think the defense may not have adjusted to this new style of play - they looked like my old high school team trying to pull an offside trap. In my opinion, they will be shredded by a quality opponent, especially one with a speedy striker. The highlight of the game was Frings' rocket from 35 yards - I was out of my seat and yelling at the t0p of my lungs, it was so good (and I hate Germany).

Other thoughts:
-With Wanchope putting away both chances he was given, I still like the Ticos' chances, although they still played too defensively. If they win (not draw) their next match, they deserve to advance.
-The Poles looked terrible, although they had some bad luck too. They don't deserve to advance if that was the best they could muster in front of a (practically) home crowd.
-Ecuador looked good defensively, but I hate their keeper. He seemed too young and prone to mistakes, although he wasn't really tested. Germany will eat him alive.
-I loved Marcelo Balboa as a player (still remember that bicycle kick against Colombia), but listening to his commentary and his whiny frickin' voice makes me want to put a bullet in my head. He should be crowned "King of Obvious" for his commentary, which is also often meandering and directionless. I do like Tommy Smyth though, just because he has that Irish brogue. 'Celo should try to make a funny accent so we all don't want to kill him.

Looking forward to today. Go Soca Warriors! Go Guaranis! Go Elephants!

No comments: