Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Friendly Gestures

More than once I have been told by female friends that they have few, if any, female friends for various reasons most of which seem to be stereotypical. A couple events recently relayed to me by my wife had me shaking my head and rethinking these stereotypes. Maybe there’s more truth than assumptions there.

One of my wife’s friends recently got married to her long time boyfriend and from what I could determine was every bit the bridezilla type.

In one instance the bride to be gave a list of instructions to the bridesmaids detailing every second of the wedding day. At face this was no big deal, who wouldn’t want to be more organized? Reading the actual instructions I was struck by the detail and the way it was written. It was incredibly insulting; this woman was treating her friends like infants. I thought about what would happen if a dude distributed this note to his friends. He would have no more friends.

This same bride prided herself on planning every detail and inviting every guest to her groom’s bachelor party. This poor dude already had a problem getting enough groomsmen evidenced by two of them questioning their presence throughout the wedding and before that he couldn’t even be trusted to enjoy himself at a party for himself by his friends. Thankfully I was not invited so I didn’t have to turn down the invitation. The bride remained in constant contact with the groom throughout the night, ignoring her friends at the bachelorette party and further emasculating him. I could just imagine a group of dudes only tangentially knowing the groom sitting in a room afraid of the bride. Yes, that’s correct they stayed home, probably playing pin the juevos on the whipped dude.

Another instance involves a friend of my wife who is looking into buying a new car. She was talking to a life-long, best friend of hers specifically about the friend's new-ish car that she had bought earlier this year. This best-friend of my wife’s friend proceeded to tell her that her car cost eight thousand dollars more than it did. My wife was astounded by the fake price of the car and asked me about it. I went to Edmunds.com to check it out and learned that at the trim level of the car there were no options so the base price of just over 17 thousand dollars was the final price. It was a strange lie. First because it was so easily found out and second because lying about the price of the car had no benefit. This is not a sought after car, there is no premium added by the dealer and no one would be jealous of someone who paid eight grand over sticker for a subcompact. It appears as though the best friend was trying to discourage my wife’s friend from buying the same car.

When I was in my last semester of college I almost bought the same car as one of my best friends and he went with me to the test drive. A dude would talk up his car and then brag about fleecing the dealer. By the way, the car I bought last fall, I bought for almost 5 grand under sticker. It’s wicked fast and looks awesome.

So what’s the deal? As with anything involving the female world I’m clueless but with more stories like the above I start to understand my female friends a little more when they complain about their female friends.

No comments: