Thursday, April 07, 2005

It's ok, I'm a dem

Yesterday I got a call from a friend who had decided to leave the Republican party. For some reason they thought that I would try to convince them otherwise. Of course, to me one's political desires are their own and I explained that I respected their decision. The reason why this friend was leaving was because they felt that former president Jimmy Carter was being slighted in regards to the accommodations for the Pope's funeral. Now, I was not aware of this story so I simply listened and reiterated my position in regards to leaving, staying and whatever.

Today, I found an interesting story. Apparently my friend's story of malfeasance originated from Timdido's part of the country, the always annoying John Corzine;
New Jersey Democrat Jon Corzine's office put out a statement today saying the Senator was "livid" that President Bush "refused to allow" Jimmy Carter to join the official U.S. delegation to the Vatican.
Well, I thought to myself, there's the story and if it's true it does seem unfortunate. I've lived long enough though to learn that to trust a democrat politician on their word is something to laugh at, so I read further and learned that:
Corzine now admits to FOX News that he hasn't spoken with President Carter on the issue and has no evidence to suggest that Carter was snubbed by the White House.
And, furthermore;
Carter says he was invited to join the delegation and declined, saying that because of the limited number of invitations, he would defer to others who wanted to attend.
Hmmm, all of a sudden it's clear isn't it? Carter wanted to defer, he's a nice guy and a bit up in age, completely understandable. Will Corzine get pummeled in the press for the fact that he LIED? Doubtful, because as the maha Rushie says (loosely) "In the democrat party, the more you screw up, the more prominent you are", meaning that this episode will likely help Corzine in his purported bid to be governor of Jersey. Typical.

4 comments:

TimDido said...

OK, leaving the Republican party because of a perceived slight of a former Democratic president. Hmmmm, must have not been much of a Republican in the first place - no loss. I wonder if there were Dems who joined up with the Republicans because of the Sen. Wellstone funeral/political rally? I thought that was much worse.

It's kinda funny, too - the Pope did so much to eradicate Communism while Jimmah did so much to accommodate it, even after it fell (hence, we have a nuclear North Korea).

vetes said...

You're entirely right. She's not that much of a Republican but is actually one who was born (parents) into it. She sure complains like a dem. Her argument was that the Pope's first visit to America was under Jimmah and I responded, "It's not the Pope's fault that he was ordained while Carter was president, I was born in 1978, should he be my favorite president because I was unfortunate enough to be born while he was in office?"

The whole thing is funny and I really enjoy making fun of Corzine. I read an article of the fear John Paul II put into the hearts of Poland's red leaders when he planned his first visit to his homeland as Pope, it was great.

TimDido said...

Yeah, I ain't a fan of Corzine. He's another part of the corrupt Jersey machine, however, so I think he'll probably win. Personally, I want Bret Schundler to win, but Steve Forrester will probably take the nomination 'cause he's got money - he's already running ads against Corzine.

I wonder who's going to get his open seat, should he win?

Enlighten-NewJersey said...

Don't buy in to the MSM - Dem echo chamber that Corzine's a shoe-in for Governor of New Jersey.

I think Schundler's going to win the nomination and maybe if bloggers across the country put the spotlight on Corzine, the MSM will be forced to report a bit more objectively on the race.